School, School, and More School...

We have been doing a lot of school lately! Between school and sessions... well, there isn't really time for much more between school and sessions!


Here is a random post of some things going on around here. This is a variety of things from the past couple months...


Trying to keep organized...



Found this great idea for Story Maps...

This has been great for dissecting stories.

Jeremiah felt that we should honor the bat characteristics by posting the answers upside down since we read about a bat...


A couple of the books we've done this with recently...


I also have him pick out one character and do a character map...

Since Jey loves to draw, he looks forward to this part of the story mapping!

Language arts is definitely not Jey's favorite/strongest subject. But I've been finding some fun ways to make it more interesting for him. Like Sight Word Swap. I mean, really, who wouldn't want to be able to whack away at things and call it school?



I printed out a lot of little pictures of flies with a sight word printed underneath. Since our fly swatter has been used on many a fly, I deem it disgusting except for the use of swatting flies. Therefore, I thought I'd make my own that might not hurt as bad if he decided to turn it on his brother. (Hence the cheap fly swatter made from a paper towel tube and piece of cardstock. haha) I cut these flies/words (flypaper? lol) out and scatter them on the floor. I call out a word and he finds it and swats it. Easy peasy. Oh, make sure to have him hand you the "dead fly" each time so you don't have to spend more time cleaning later. :) I also put some easier words in there so he wouldn't feel discouraged starting out each time.

I found this idea here: Sneaker Teacher It's a Kindergarten teacher's blog but this idea works for lots of grades and subjects! I am thinking of using it also in math - print out answers to math problems and let him swat the answers to the problems I call out.







Joshua has been working on his shapes and colors...




But he's not always so thrilled when I decide he's so cute and we need to document this moment...


He really does love it and is awfully proud of himself...




Love my Stinker-Roo!